Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Irreplaceable

Quietly sitting in on my son's health class today, I realized how our children have a lot of grown up issues to deal with. Most of the students were able to explain the meaning of the topic of the day, resilience.
By definition, resilience is the ability to recover readily from illness, depression, adversity or the like; buoyancy.

There were different variations, but they understood as well as gave examples.
Quietly listening to each child as they chimed in the life changes that made them resilient; a grandmother passing away, having to care for a mentally challenged relative that had to moving in, fighting to stop being sexually promiscuous and a student that had battled cancer and won, I felt so blessed to be sharing that moment of release with them.

These circumstances that happened to them have given them a strength to draw on and help them become the magnificent people they are.

I wanted to interject and say so many things that my emotions wanted to tell them. In my head, I gave each of them a hug. The male teacher kept the conversation as intellectual as he could without showing shock or dismay.

And I, like the teacher, had not experienced any sort of tragedy in our school-aged lives. Amazement, thankfulness and empathy flowed through my heart, mind and soul for what had happened to them.

THIS FLOWER REPRESENTS OUR CHILDREN TRYING TO FIND THEIR WAY IN LIFE. SWIRLY, LEANING, SEARCHING AND YEARNING
FOR A WAY TO BE A PART OF THE WORLD.
WE ALL NEED LOVE AND NURTURING EVERY DAY.
DEALING WITH TWISTS AND TURNS ARE INEVITABLE.
PLEASE TELL THE CHILDREN THEY ARE LOVED AND IRREPLACEABLE.



Being a part of their lives for a little while, leaves me so glad that I was there at that moment and time. From the skin I'm in, they looked like they are doing well. I hope that their inside is and will continue to do well. Maybe opening up and telling a summary of their stories a bit cathartic for them. Will they now look at and deal with each other differently?

I am going to ask my son what would he have said if I were not there.

- forever makeba

No comments:

Post a Comment